Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kde Delay
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ktstone
I'm running suse 9.2 on my Dell inspiron 5150 with KDE 3.3. Once the install was finished, everything worked beautifully. All of a sudden, KDE takes about 3 to 5 full minutes to start when it used to take about 10 seconds. Also, when I start any KDE native application (ie: konquerer, kget) the delay is similar, several minutes.

I'm still pretty new at linux and kde so I don't really know where to start. In windows, I would start by looking at the task manager and finding anything unusual to see if that was causing the problem. I can view the process table in kde, but I'm not comfortable killing processes because I don't know which ones the system is dependant on. Also, I've looked at the /var/logs/XFree86.0.log and Xorg.0.log and didn't see anything unusual, just a few warnings about fonts, but no errors.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks-
DS2K3
Does everything take longer when starting KDE? Or is it just one part of the loading sequence (you can see what it's doing by looking at the icons and text at the bottom of the splash screen [provided your spalsh screen supports it])

D
ktstone
It sits on "starting services" for a while, then once it gets through the progressive icons, it just sits there with the wallpaper on the background. I can't do anything at that point, until it finishes with the login process.
DS2K3
Does it do it for all user accounts, or just yours?

D
ktstone
The same delay happens for all users. Any ideas?
DS2K3
try renaming /etc/kde to /etc/kde-old

That will make KDE start over with new config I guess. Failing that, you could always uninstall KDE, delete /etc/kde (the config bit) and then reinstall it.

D
ktstone
I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion
Corey
You could also run 'startx' from the console so you can switch back to the console and see the output of errors that are possibly happening.

I've had this problem before a few times, if i recall correctly, each time it was for different reasons, so, there could be a number of answers for the delay.

When you finally do get into KDE, open up konsole, and then run another KDE from within Konsole and watch the output. This should make it much easier to diagnose what's going on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.