Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Usb Flash Drive Thinks It's My Hard Drive
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
wombat
After installing Mandrake Linux 10 into a new hard drive ( Pentium 3 mother board 1.7gh prosesor ) , I forgot I had left the 256mb JetFlash drive in the usb socket and now the flash drive thinks it's a 20 gig hard drive . So when I boot up the system with the flash drive in the usb port it tells me "a new device has been found do you want to configure it " , on hitting OK it tell's me that various sectors are over lapping , on deleting the over overlapping sectors _ all partitions on the hard drive_ _were deleted_. We repared the flash drive on a windows computer using the cd rom supplied but it is still the same .
My question is how do I get the icon to appear on the screen using the new hard drive as it does on the old hard drive ( the numbers on the jet flash case are , 091434 0204
Hope you can help
With many thanks for your help,Wombat
newmoon
QUOTE (wombat @ May 17 2005, 01:43 AM)
After installing Mandrake Linux 10 into a new hard drive ( Pentium 3 mother board 1.7gh prosesor ) , I forgot I had left the 256mb JetFlash drive in the usb socket and now the flash drive thinks it's a 20 gig hard drive . So when I boot up the system with the flash drive in the usb port it tells me "a new device has been found do you want to configure it " , on hitting OK it tell's me that various sectors are over lapping , on deleting the over overlapping sectors _ all partitions on the hard drive_ _were deleted_. We repared the flash drive on a windows computer using the cd rom supplied but it is still the same .
My question is how do I get the icon to appear on the screen using the new hard drive as it does on the old hard drive ( the numbers on the jet flash case are , 091434 0204
Hope you can help
With many thanks for your help,Wombat

Have you tried booting the machine without the Flash drive plugged in? You should then be able to mount it at will, and fiddle with it, without it conflicting with anything on the system drive.

Make sure if you mount it manually to use the "-t vfat" options, assuming the drive was formatted with Windows.

newmoon
wombat
Thanks newmoon
I have tried booting and rebooting with and without it plugged in but still no go .
With " -t vfat " I take it this goes in the device tag after right clicking on an icon after putting it on the screen , as you may gather I know very little if anything about working on the inner parts of Linux .
The funny thing is it still works on the old hard drive , but the new one just won't have anything to do with it .
Many thanks wombat
DS2K3
Unplug the USB Drive

Start a terminal (either ctrl-alt-F1 or run "konsole" or "xterm" etc. etc.) then run "tail -f /var/log/messages"

Then plug the drive in.

Hopefully, it will give us some info on what's going on. It might be that the system is using th wrong usb driver to handle the drive.

D
wombat
Mant thanks DS2K3
It worked ! it's now up on the screen but , and there is always a but , with all the mucking around with it it's been reformatted which has created another small problem , so like a wombat I'll burrow in ans see what can be done .

Many thanks to all for the help for the assistance
Regards wombat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.