Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just Finished Installing Gentoo
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
docmur
Hello

I have just finished what could be called my first real gentoo install but now I need help. Gentoo boots fine and get's me to the shell login prompt with no problems. The thing that I need help with is when ever I run emerge -k kde gnome from the super user I get a warning expat not found. When I try to emerge expat I get a message Host not found. I think it might have something to do with a network setup problem but I can view ifconfig eth0. My network is setup using DHCP can some one help

P.S. I downloaded the package CD with KDE and GNOME on it

Thanks DOCMUR
Jim
Can you ping something, like say www.google.com (ping www.google.com)?
docmur
No I can't ping www.google.com
I can ping 127.0.0.1 which is the home IP for any network card
I run a DHCP
Termina
Your eth0 is working then, but DHCP doesn't seem to work.

Try:

dhclient eth0
or
dhcpcd eth0

One should work.

Otherwise, you might need to manually edit /etc/resolv.conf (put your nameservers in there).
Jim
do a emerge -s dhcp and make sure you have the packet "* net-misc/dhcp" installed. Otherwise you can't get DHCP assigments.
docmur
how to I make sure I have the packet
Jim
It will say latest version, and latester version installed. If it says [Not Installed] then you don't have it. If it has a version number, even if its not the same as the current version you are good to go.
DS2K3
Does it work if you set the IP address statically? At least then you can get any software packages you need from a repository

D
docmur
Thats a good idea, I should set it up staticly to tryit out but then what
Jim
did you figure out if you have DHCP installed?

The problem with doing static setup is you have to know the ip range of the subnet you are on, which probably isn't that hard.

ARe you sure your /etc/conf.d/net is set up correctly? You can post it if you want me to check, but you should be able to do it.

The only reason you would need to set up the static is to download the package to make dhcp, but you don't even need that, it should be in the dist files that come with the computer.

If dhcp is not installed, you should just be able to run emerge dhcp and be happy.
docmur
Well right now I don't want to copy it but I'll post what it has in it

if_eth0="dhcp"
dhcpcd_eth0="-HD"
dhcpcd_eth0="-N"
rc-update add net.eth0 default

is that right
DS2K3
"rc-update add net.eth0 default" shouldnt be IN the file - That is a command you need to run as root

D
docmur
Not accurding to the gentoo install guide
Jim
no the rc-update add net.eth0 default should NOT be in the conf file. That is the line that add net.eth0 to the boot sequence.

Ok, I need to look at the top of this post is agian, I forgot one the problem even started out as.

What happens when you try to run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.