Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Computer Name
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
CanMike
Here's an easy one, yet I can't figure it out.

I've got two machine connected via a D-Link router, XP Professional on one and Redhat Enterprise V4 on the other.

During installation of Windows XP on my computer, I was asked what I wanted to 'name' my machine. This name I use to resolve networking applications (eg: Oracle Net).

On my Linux machine how do I 'name' the machine. I've gone into Network Configuration and openned the 'Hosts' tab, added my XP machine (Name = cr934577) and IP and aliases which obviously updated my /etc/hosts file.

I also openned the 'DNS' tab and changed the default Hostname from 'localhost.localdomain' to 'mlinux' (the name I want to call my Linux machine). That didn't do anything.

For anyone familiar with Oracle, I need either a name attached to an IP of my tnsnames.ora file so that I can use my Oracle Client to talk to the Linux box.

Help.
DS2K3
You will need to setup your DNS to do that - Jsut because the Linux box knows it's name, doesnt mean anything else will. Just add the IP and name of the Linux box to the hosts file on the XP box

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.