Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems Installing Some Programs
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Jedbanger
Hey!.. i-mm new at linux.. i have installed 2 days ago.. and i'm using the Elx distribution.
i'm having trouble installing .tar.gz files.
for eg: i have just downloaded Kopete 0.5.tar.gz
i extract it.
but when i ran the ./configure (as it's said in the instructions for installing it) and error message cames out saying: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
the same thing happened with other programs that i wish to install.
so.. can someone please help me out'
please.
thanxs
Jedbanger
please... help... i don-t know how to install the .tar.gz
Corey
I'm not familier with the Elx distribution whatsoever, so i will give you the general "Linux" answer.

In order to compile programs from source (those packaged in tar.gz or bzip2) you need to have a C compilier installed. The most famous for Linux is the gcc compiler which should available in all distributions. Some distros don't install it by default unless you choose some sort of "Development" group of packages in the install. You will also need other programs such as "Automake" and "Autoconf" which allows you to configure the source of programs to suit your particular system. Along with the basic "development" tools like gcc and autoconf, you also need any dependencies that the program you are trying install requires. You can find this out usually from the INSTALL and README files. For example, kopete i believe is a KDE based program which means you will probably have to have the KDE libs and headers installed. However, the configure script that you ran will tell you what you're missing as you go along.
Jedbanger
ohhh thanxs!..
i-m soo stupid.. i didn't choose to install the development package when i installed the Elx.
do u know from where i can get that stuff know???
Jedbanger
this is what i get when running ./configure:
..... checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
chrisw
look for the files on your install cd

they should be named like
gcc
gcc-c++ etc...etc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.