Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Connectivity Problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
CanMike
Here's my topography:

Dell PIII loaded with Linux Enterprise v4 Static IP 192.168.0.101 (which I set up myself via the Network Configuration Menu)

This are my 'Statically set IP addresses' I set up on the Linux machine

Address: 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway address: 192.168.0.1

D-Link Rounter IP 192.168.0.1
Dell P IV with XP Professional, Service Pack 2 IP 192.168.0.100

From the XP machine I can Ping the router (192.168.0.1) and the Linux box (192.168.0.101)
From the Linux machine I can Ping the router but timeout when attempting to ping the XP Machine

My knowledge of networks is limited so please little works and lots of examples.
I'm quite anxious to get this up and running because I'm an Oracle DBA by trade and need to test a wack of stuff.
DS2K3
I think windows firewall blocks piings by default - so it probably isnt that the computers cant "see " each other - merely that the XP box wont let itself be pinged.

Im not 100% sure how to turn the firewall off though
CanMike
I've disabled the canned XP firewall. It's easy to disable, open the Control Panel, the 'Windows Firewall' and click the 'off' radio button.

What is truely weird is the fact that I can't ping the XP own IP.

If I issue: ping 192.168.0.100 -> XP IP

It times out
CanMike
It's working now.

Even though I disable the Windows Firewall, I still had to check a box under the Exceptions tab that allows File and Print sharing.

Don't you just love MicroSoft!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.