Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guarddog Firewall
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
raysr
I have used guarddog in Mandrake and never had this problem. But in Xandros 3 guarddog won't start at boot. I have to log in as if to config and click "ok" to get it going. Does anyone have any idea how I can get it to start at boot-up? Thanks.
Jim
When you say you have to "log in as if to config" are you going to drakconf (Mandrake Config) or into the guarddog config panel?

You should be able to go into drakconf and find the services settings, I think its under system, and guarddog should be in that list. Check the box that says "on boot" and you should be good.
raysr
The guarddog configuring panel, i.e. enter root password then click "ok" anywhere to start, then close it out and it's running. If I just reboot and check at pcflank or gibson it's blocked but not stealthed. If I start it, log into guarddog with the root password like you were going to configure it and click "ok" at the bottom, then a box opens and "iptables" is set up then click "continue" then "ok" and it's running and stealthed. Anyway, with Mandrake I just set it up and forgot about it, at boot it was running and "stealthed".
Jim
Sorry, I didn't catch that you had switched to Xandros. Any service that you want running at boot needs to be added to that runlevel. I am not too familiar with Xandros so don't know exactly what to tell you.

Usuall a command like rc-update add guarddog default would add guarddog to your default run level.

Is there a guarddog service in /etc/init.d it would just show up in a ls of that directory. If so you can start it by just running /etc/init.d/guarddog start. But what you really want to do is add it to your boot processes. See if your machine has rc-update and I will poke around a little tomorrow, unless somebody else knows Xandros.
raysr
Thanks for the reply. rc update "command not found", /etc/init.d/guarddog start "no such file or directory".
Jim
Its might not actually be called guarddog in your init.d folder, run a ls /etc/init.d to see what services you have in your init.d folder. If there is anything in there that resembles guarddog try it like that. It looks like I am going to have to do some research to answer this question.
raysr
Guidedog is in there but no guarddog. I installed guidedog once but removed it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.