Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake Linux Quick Question
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Demonic Crusader
Alright, I'm up to the partitioning part of Mandrake Linux 10.1 Community setup. I decided I'm not ready to install yet, but it won't let me move backwards in instalation. From the "choose how to partition" page, would it be safe to shut off my computer?

Another very quick question. What is a good way to back up Windows XP but nothing else on my harddrive? Just the basics?
Jim
Ya, you can quit the installation, it hasn't written any of the table information yet and hasn't even started to intall packets.

What do you want to back up, I am a little confused. You want to back up your actual windows install? not your personal data?

I don't know of any good way to achive this, and I am also a little hazy on what/why you want to do.

Write back and tell me what yo are thinking, what you want to accomplish and how you are trying to get there and I will help you out.
Demonic Crusader
Thanks, I shut off my computer, ran defrag / chkdsk, and successfully intalled Linux last night, working up the guts to do it without backing up Windows. But now here comes a new problem. When I installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 Community, I disabled start in GUI (or something of the likeness). So it starts in the command prompt, and I can log on by, say, typing "Bob *enter* cheese *enter*" for un/pw. So. I'm logged on, and I have no clue what to do from command prompt, seeing as I'm a newbie, and so I'll start the GUI. I head somewhere that you can type "emerge gnome" or "emerge kde" and start that x-windows GUI but it says command not found (or, once again, something of the likeness). Any help would be appreciated, and I'd really appreciate it if you could walk me through COMPLETELY step-by-step. (For example don't tell me "open this file and edit this" because seeing as I'm in command prompt I have no idea how to do that.)
Demonic Crusader
I heard somewhere that you can use "startx" to start the GUI. "startx" does not bring me to a GUI, it rather gives me a bunch of text that takes up the whole screen. I see no x-windows or Gnome or KDE or anything after "startx". Emerge Gnome and Emerge KDE still do not work after "startx".

I looked through the text it gave me and found some interesting stuff.

Data imcomplete in file /etc/x11/xorg.conf
at least one Device section is required.
(EE) Problem parsing config file
(EE) EError parsing config file

Fatal server error: no screens found
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer on x server ":0.0"
After 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
DS2K3
Run "xorgconfig" to configure the UI (as root [to get root access, type "su -" follwed by your root password]), then "startx" once that is done

emerge will NOT work on Mandrake, since emerge is a portage command, used by Gentoo Linux.

D
Jim
su will turn you into a root user, you will need to be root to run xorgconfig but you need to exit so you are your normal user self again when you run startx, then you need to edit your /etc/inittab file and change the 3 to a 5 in the default run level so that next time you re-boot it will start graphically automatically. The line looks something like this.

id:5:initdefault:

You will need to be root to edit it, so you can use the su command again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.