Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hplip-0.9
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Jane
As a newbie, I battle with command line stuff. However, if I am to get my printer working with Suse Professional 9.1, I need some help.
I downloaded the HPLIP Installation Overview from hpinkjet.sourceforge.net, and am on Step 2, Download & install HP printing software.
I get down to point 6, i.e. Configure the software, which seems to be OK, then I try to enter "make" only to find that this command is not recognised. Neither is "make install". From what I can tell , my system is not generating or cannot access a Makefile.
Please help !!!!!
As a general comment, why is printer installation such a pain with Linux/Suse 9.1, are there any New printers that 9.1 can recognise and install via Yast ?
Jane
DS2K3
Mae sure you ahve "gcc" isntalled - Which is the compiler that turns the source code into something that will actualy run. You can probably get in from Yast, but I have never used Suse...

Printer installation is a pain because manufacturers dont give any help whatsoever to Linux users, and all the drivers are created by people as and when they need them. Not to mention that CUPs seems to make everything way more complicated than it needs to be. I'm no expert on printers though, perhaps it is simple and I just do it wrong.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.