Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Java In Ubuntu
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ghorgoth
I have come across this error after i run the .bin file at the beginning.

root@csce:/home/scragg/java # rpm -iv jre-1_5_0_02-linux-i586.rpm
rpm: To install rpm packages on Debian systems, use alien. See README.Debian.
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

It wont let me get past this point. I have followed the instructions on the
www.java.com website as well, but it all leads me to this error.

Could anyone help me out here? smile.gif

Thanks,
Don
Termina
Get the .bin file, not the .rpm

Please see
http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?a...=ST&f=15&t=5738
on how to do this.
dedhart
Hey Termina, I've followed the steps in the guide to configure java, but it still doesn't work. I've added the lines "PATH=$PATH:/path/to/java" and "export PATH" to my profile and my bash profile (or at least I think I got it right) still when I type in "whereis java" the response I get is "java:"
I've even tried coppying the SO files to my netscape and Mozilla plugin folders, still Java doesn't work, I'm at my wits end here trying to install this thing.
DS2K3
What does Mozilla say when you type "about:plugins" into the address bar?

D
dedhart
Says I have shockwave flash player installed and a default plugin (libnullplugin.so) that's not enabled. I don't see java.

I also tried installing the adobe plugin, seems konqueror can read PDF files but firefox can't, why's linux gotta make simple tasks so freakin difficult?
DS2K3
Konqueoror ahs the benefit of the entire KDE suite of libraries and software, Mozilla is cross-platofrm and cant be made to take of these libraries without significant modifications. I dont think it is particularly difficult or complex, it's just different to Windows. Forget everything you know about Windows, because 99% of it just doesnt apply in Linux.

Exporting that path environment variables is only necessary if you are running java apps, it isnt needed to run Java in Mozilla. Check that the links in the plugin flder are correct, and also check they are readbale by everyone, not just root.

D
Corey
As root, issue the following commands:

[quote]
echo "deb http://ubuntu.tower-net.de/ubuntu/ warty java" >>/etc/apt/sources.list
echo "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty multiverse" >>/etc/apt/sources.list
[/quote]

Then search for the correct package name (i don't use ubuntu, so i don't know the exact name):

[quote]
apt-cache search sun-j2
[/quote]

Then install it with:

[quote]
apt-get install packagename
[/quote]

packagename is the name you got from the apt-cache command.

This should install it and set up your environment for it. For more information, see the Ubuntu wiki page here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.