Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Networking To My Windows Xp Machine
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
docmur
Could some one help me to figure out how to connect to my downstairs computer from up in my bed room. I know how to do it in windows but linux is another story. I have two network cards up here on for the internet and one for the network. I run suse linux 9.2 pro and use blackbox
michaelk
For file sharing you need to install samba. See www.samba.org for documentation and also search the web for additional info.

For internet connection sharing which OS is installed on the 2 network card PC which I assume is in your bedroom.
docmur
Okay the computer in my bedroom is running Suse linux 9.2 pro and it is the one with the 2 network cards. The computer downstairs runs Windows XP pro sp2
DS2K3
Firstly - Are they networked OK (ie can you ping one from the other).

Secondly, what do you want to get out of the network? ie file-sharing, internet connection sharing

D
docmur
I would like to get internet sharing and File sharing out of the network. Yes I can ping between the computers. The internet is from rogers and is controlled by DHCP so to internet share would the computer downstairs also have to run of DHCP
karlkatzke
You'll need to get two or three things active. I'll describe in general terms, because I don't know your distro well, and someone else can go into detail if you need it ... but try figuring it out yourself, it's fun. wink.gif

This is generall called IP Masquerading, if you'd like to google for more resources. There's quite a few steps here, but it's easy once you get into it.

- First, you need to enable packet forwarding. This is a kernel option.
- Then you need to configure your outside connection (eth0 for convenience) for DHCP and make sure the linux box can ping and use the wide area network correctly.
- You'll need to configure eth1 (your inside connection, 2nd NIC) as a static address, 192.168.0.1 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.0.1 is the 'accepted' way to do things.
- If you don't have it installed already, download and install the DHCP daemon. IIRC, the out-of-box configuration should be fine.

At this point, your computer downstairs should be able to get an IP address from the linux box and ping it just fine. If it can't, stop here and try to figure out why.

- If you don't have it installed already, install and configure iptables, which is firewall software.
- There's tons of masquerading iptables example scripts on the 'net, look for one. The general idea is to make sure you leave the minimum open that will allow things to work. I use this one, but it's RH-clone specific.
- Check and make sure that your routing table is correct by using 'route -n' command. You should see the external address and netmask with eth0, the external gateway marked as UG on eth0, and 192.168.0.1 on eth1 with the 255.255.255.0 netmask.

At this point, you should be good to go. Of course, it probably won't work the first time... the fun and learning comes from figuring out what broke.

After the connection sharing is working, you'll use Samba to set up file sharing.
DS2K3
To save yourself tons of time with firewalls and packet forwarding and goodness knows that else - Buy yourself a router! (They are quite cheap and easy to use nowadays). That will take care of all your internet connectivity problems for you, simply allowing to to plug the computers in and set the gateway. Unless of course you enjoy that sort of thing, but sitting here at 1.45 in the morning, with a very large mug of turkish apple tea and computing coursework to do - I can ttihnk of many things I would not setup than IP masquerading and packet forwarding on Linux... Or, if you only want basic HTTP services to the Windows Box, then just get internet working on the Linux box and install Squid or another proxy server (which is also more secure, since the Windows XP box never touches the internet [sometihng I would liken to putting a cigarette next to a petrol pump]).

I also suggest you invest some time downloading and installing webmin (from www.webmin.com) which will let you configure literally everything except the kitchen sink (and shoutcast servers, but that is irrelevant).

Alternatively, just ignore me. I am quite possibly talking rubbish...

D
docmur
Okay well that makes sense but I have one more question. Do you know anything about configuring routers. I'm in CISCO SEM 2 and I have a praticle coming up were I network 4 computers using 2 routers and a switch. The routers are connected with DCE/DTE cables but I just don't know what I all have to type under the interfaces like ETH0 and SER1 and SER0 of course the SER ports are configured and the routers can talk but other then that? So can you help
BDTyre
I'm in a similar situation.

I'm running 3 Win XP Pro machines behind a router and have recently setup a Slackware 10.1 machine.

Using netconfig, I set it to static IP, set the static IP to the one my router receives and the mask to 255.255.255.0. After a shut down and restart, the settings seem to have taken as I am able to use the internet on my Linux machine and my XP machines simultaneously.

Is getting my Linux machine to communicate with my XP machines as simple as configuring Samba? The main reason I wish to do this is for printer sharing; file sharing would be nice, but is not essential.
DS2K3
Samba implements the Windows SMB prpotocol on Linux (and other nixes) - Which is what is needed to share files and print. So, it should be that simple, yes. Webmin (www.webmin.com) has a good samba config interface - Which might be useful.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.