Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Networking
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
docmur
I know this a Linux site but I need help making my Windows XP based network run. Okay the computer in my run which specs are listed below has two network cards. One on board and one not on board. The internet comes into the none on board card and is active. I also have a computer in my basement with a network card. I have tried to use a cross over cable to connect my room's computers on board network card to the computer down stairs. I can ping the downstairs fine but I can't use the internet down there. My first though is that I have to make the on board card in my room and the card down stairs use static IP but I haven't yet. If some one could help me figure this out that would be great!
michaelk
I'm assuming that both computers are running windows. You need to configure Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the box with internet. On the ICS box the LAN ethernet adapter is automatically configured for an IP address of 192.168.0.1. You can use either static IP or DHCP on the client PC.

There are help files on the XP that will assist you in setting up ICS as well as lots of info on the web.
docmur
Do I have to use the gateway that the internet comes in on accross all the cards. And should I specify the IP address 192.168.0.1 my self
DS2K3
Doesnt Windows XP come with bridging support? In which case jsut right click on the icon in netowk connections, and select the bridge option. Never tried it though...

D
michaelk
Using the bridge option will bypass the firewall.
DS2K3
What a lot of difference that will make...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.