ok, i've been using linux for some time now and though there are still some areas that i need to learn, i'm confident in saying that i'm fluent in it. i am currently running Slackware 8.1. right, now down to the problem, but firstly i need to mention that i have gone through many HOW-TOs, configuration files, forums, help files, man pages and can't find any help on this. i feel that means there is no answer.

anyway, i have a Microsoft Optical USB mouse which has 5 buttons in total (2 on each side + scroll wheel button). USB is set up fine and i have managed to get it all working - scroll works great, scroll wheel is the middle click, 2 buttons on the left side do the same as left click and the 2 buttons on the right side do the same as right click. ok, so i have all the buttons working, but i want the 2 extra buttons to be forward and backward in webpages (i use to have this in windows and liked that feature a lot). there must be a way to state in the XF86Config what you want each button to do instead of the supposedly default left, right and middle click, but i haven't found anything that says this. the mouse section in my XF86Config file is:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "USB Mice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

it should be 7 buttons (as you count the middle click as 3 buttons: scroll up, scroll down, click), but when i have that, the scroll doesn't work. if anyone can help with this, i would firstly be suprised and secondly extremely thankful if you can solve it smile.gif .