Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Can't Install Redhat 9 On Dell
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Argonne01
Can't figure out how to get around this one - please help.

I am trying to install Redhat 9 on a Dell Latitude D400 laptop. The laptop has neither an internal floppy or CDR drive - both are external using some wierd proprietary Dell USB connector.

When I set my BIOS to boot from CD, everything works and I get the LINUX install prompt. However, once Redhat takes over and starts to load it can no longer find the floppy or CD drives b/c it does not have the USB Mass Storage driver. I've tried making driver disks, but it's useless b/c Redhat needs the driver to even access the disk.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone know of a good solution? Please help. Thanks.
Termina
I'd suggest you don't use RH9, since it doesn't include this and is horribly outdated. =/ You'll need to try out a distro that comes with some better hard drive detection.

If this is just going to be for personal use (ie, not to be used as a server-on-the-go), you might want to try out something like Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) or SuSE (http://www.SuSE.com)

I've had good experiences with both when it comes to laptops.

Otherwise, you might want to try CeOS or another RHEL clone.

Otherwise, there are a few other things you can try.

1) Look into loadlin. This allows you to boot linux from DOS. I've used this before on 486s for slackware, I'm sure you can do the same for RedHat. It'll take a little bit of work, but it *WILL* work.

2) Try a net install disk (for example, from debian). I assume you have broadband, and an ethernet card on your laptop. If it's detected, you should be good to go.

3) Similar to my first suggestion, you can copy the contents of a CD onto your hard drive (for DSL/Knoppix, this is the KNOPPIX folder on the CD). You can then use a floppy disk to boot the CD from your hard disk. This is usually easier than the first step, but not sure if/how you'd do that with RH9.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.