Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ppp
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
armhand
I've spent about a year on and off trying to connect to the internet using Linux. I'm pretty sure I've found a modem and it works and the problem is in my PPP scripts. The main info I have from the ISP to set up IE is:

PRIMARY DNS SERVER
ALTERNATE DNS SERVER

INTERNET OPTIONS/CONNECTIONS/ADDRESS proxy.zajil.net
INTERNET OPTIONS/CONNECTIONS/PORT 3128

I've read PPP HOWTO 'til I can't see and can' find any reference to this port field. Any help please I feel a little embarassed going on all these Linux sites using IE
chrisw
if you are using kde or gnome
there is a configuration section
for setting up a ppp connection
armhand
Sir,
I'm using Kppp which is connecting but when I try to access a site the Kerror dialog comes up with "could not connect to host"
chrisw
have you tried pinging anything to see if you are actually connected?
armhand
Sir,
pinging proxy.zajil.net produces no papckets lost and approx 250mSec trip, but still unable to connect to any site. Does the fact that this is a proxy have any effect and how does the port address I mentioned in my first post come into it?
chrisw
you set your browser to go through the proxy....
if not you wont connect to any sites
armhand
Sir,
was going to include a smilie but couldn't find one with a big enough grin. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.