Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows & Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
pminix
I want to provide some access and functionality to windows users on my network w/o a full sambe integration.

WinSCP works great for file access, but I need something to allow users to execute batch jobs, some system commands, etc. without scaring them or teaching them how to use a terminal program.

CgyWin might be an option, but I am really looking for something with the level of integration WinSCP supports.

Any suggestions.

Thank you
cagey cretin
I've been using winscp on the LAN myself. It offers a partial shell, but does not execute commands that require user-input (as you know)...

Sorry I can't help more but I offer a 'bump'.
DS2K3
usermin (see www.webmin.org) allows users to edit their accounts, and also setup CRON jobs, and also execute commands on the system. It runs through a web browser, so can be accessed from within the LAN and (if you setup your router to allow it,) from outside aswel.

D
cagey cretin
Sounds pretty cool, DS2K3, but, did you mean webmin.com? I found something called usermin at:

http://www.webmin.com/index6.html
DS2K3
Webmin is a system administration tool, but usermin is a sort of sister project, that focuses on tools for each user. I nroamlly install webmin first, and use the built in usermin installer to install usermin. Although if you only want the features offered by usermin you may aswel go straight for that.

What distro are you using? A lot of them provide usermin packages

D
cagey cretin
I read a little more, and I am really impressed. Though I wasn't the orignal poster, I learned something cool here. smile.gif

Thanks!

Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.