Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duel Head Display
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
flipperMAN
Sorry i posted the same message twice.

--------------------------------------

G'day all

I've just installed Mandrake 10.1 and it has the same troubles that i have had with 2 other installs of Linux.

I have a Nvidia FX 5200 which is a duel head card. I run 2 monitors known as 1 & 2 with 1 being the main display a 19" and 2 being a 15".

The trouble is when i boot into Linux the main monitor shows up as normal, then both monitors show the Mandrake 10.1 boot screen, but then the desktop loads on the 2nd monitor the 15" one while the 1st monitor is a mismatch of colour and shapes you can't read it.

Looking at Mandrakes duel monitor support in the config panel it informs me that i do not have a duel monitor setup.

Any help would be great in getting the desktop to the 19"

I know i could just swap the video plugs the other way round but this would mean doing that every time i boot to and from Windows.

I'm just learning Linux

Thanks

Philip
Jim
If you haven't installed the NVIDIA module, you have to start there. So, start there. First download the package found on this page...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-6629.html

Follow the steps in the README, its fairly well written, and you should be able to follow it with out any trouble.

Now, it will tell you that you need to change the device driver from nv to nvidia you still need to do that, but you also need to make a few additions. You will have to turn on the option called TwinView which is the dual display option, and then give it some information about the lay out and the set up of the monitors. Below I posted the section of my config file that is important to you, I marked the stuff you will need to change.

CODE
Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard0" #leave as your ID
       Driver      "nvidia"
       VendorName  "nvidia"
       Option     "TwinView"
       Option "RenderAccel" "TRUE"
       Option "DPMS" "TRUE"
   # be sure to replace the HorizSync and VertRefresh with correct values
   # for your monitor!  
       Option     "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-63"
       Option     "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "56-76"

Option     "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
       Option     "MetaModes" "1024x768,1024x768" #set to resolutions you want
       Option     "ConnectedMonitor" "dfp,dfp" #if your monitors are both flat panels, then leave this
                                                                          #otherwise, change to crt as needed
EndSection

That should do it for you, if you have any other questions, just ask.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.