Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uninstalling Red Hat
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
weijie90
hi,
how do i uninstall red hat linux 9, and install gentoo 2004.2 over it? the problem is that grub is installed. its grub.conf is located in the red hat partition. i am dependant on grub for the booting of windows xp, which the rest of my family uses.

by the way, please tell me more about gentoo.
thanks
wj
michaelk
To remove grub from the MBR use the XP install CD and boot to recovery mode. Then run the fixmbr utility. When you install gentoo you can either delete the existing RH partitions and create from scratch or use the existing ones and just reformat.

I suggest reading the documentation at www.gentoo.org.
weijie90
will fixmbr damage my computer?
michaelk
Nope. It merely restores the windows bootloader to the Master Boot Record.
DS2K3
Backup grub.conf (or write down thew bits about XP) then just format the partiotns Redhat is on. Gentoo uses gRUB as the bootloader anyway.

If you are new too Gentoo, I would say use a stage3 install, as it is the easiest. But the Gentoo handbook is great, and you shouldnt have any major problems

D
weijie90
ive read the docs and im scared. can anyone recommend another distro please? thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.