Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Firefox And Other Progs
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
adz_46
okay so i downloaded the relevant version of firefox for my first ever linux os (mandrake 10.1) i extracted the files and if i remember correctly, after double clicking the only executable file available to me the installer opened and hey presto its installed (to a ridiculous path!!) i promptley deleted the directory. and upon attempting to re-install the prog to the proper path nothing would happen for me? the file wont execute?

have i changed some file associations?
the permessions are all good i beleive!

im stuck and im a unsure of how i should install theese particular packages, (the old double click! or using the shell console?)

any help would be much appreciated and if possible could someone recommend some good reading relevant to my particular distro!

thanks for your time!
dishawjp
i extracted the files and if i remember correctly, after double clicking the only executable file available to me the installer opened and hey presto its installed (to a ridiculous path!!) i promptley deleted the directory. and upon attempting to re-install the prog to the proper path nothing would happen for me?

Some questions. First, if you downloaded and installed from a tarball (that's what this sounds like), how did you go about changing the locations of the files installed? Was it by adding arguments to the ./configure step, or did you just move them to what you felt were the correct locations?

I don't install by "double clicking" and I really don't have any idea from your post what it is you double clicked on. The normal procedure for installing from a tarball is as follows:

tar -xzvf <file_name> (if it is a .tar.gz or .tgz file as most are)
cd <file_name> (new directory created by untarring the file)
./configure
make
make install

There is generally a README and/or and INSTALL text file in the tarball that will give you instructions on how to install if different from the above.

Since you are using Mandrake, you may be able to find a .rpm file that will install FireFox for you more simply... probably even by double clicking, though I would do it with the RPM command:

rpm -Uvh filename.rpm

If you install files to locations where the OS and the program don't expect to find them, then your results may be less than satisfactory. This is Linux, not Windows, don't fight it. Let it work for you and make your life easier.

HTH,

Jim Dishaw
DS2K3
The default FF installled installs to the current directory (which, I agree is a bit dumb) - Try gfetting rid of the isntaller and re-downlaoding it.

If not, try getting an RPM from somehwere like rpm.pbone.net which should be a lot easier and will add all the icons for you too.

D
adz_46
thanx guys !!

jim: i just let the installer create a new directory in the path where it landed! simply because i didnt know the correct path for installing progs!

i think im just gonna opt for the (find an rpm method)

thanx again!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.