Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Webmin + Proftpd Setup For Website
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
tuthjaa
Hi guys,

I have just installed proftpd (using webmin). Everything seems to be working okay - I am able to login on the server into my home directory (which I think is the default setting). However, I am trying to setup a website and would like to login to the apache directory /var/www/html so that I can upload .php scripts.

Does anyone know how to set this up in either the .config file or even better webmin?

Thanks in advance,
Yours,

James
Termina
Add a user (usermod -s /bin/bash -d /var/www/html -G nobody)

make sure umask makes files with read and execute, for group. (umask 072, I belive)

This is assuming that nobody is set in your httpd.conf to group (sometimes only user nobody (or www-data) is put in there, make sure to add group nobody!) Or www-data

passwd username

Change the pass, and you may have to restart proftpd (I don't really remember, sorry. tongue.gif)

And there you go!
tuthjaa
Hi,

Thanks for the speedy response. As I am a bit of newbie could you possibly explain the commands more for me. I am reluctant to use them on my server without knowing what they do.

1) usermod -s /bin/bash -d /var/www/html -G nobody
This makes a new user, but what does -s and -d and -G do?

And is this configuring the proftpd or apache or just creating a new user with a home directory in the /var/www/html directory?

Sorry for not understanding... I am still on the steep learning curve.

Thanks,

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.