Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help With Getting X To Start On Debian Install
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
sethcross
I'm unable to start X on a recent debian install that i downloaded last night and have installed

at the end of the Xfree86 log it lists

"(EE) Screen(s) found, none have a usuable configuration"

"Fatal Server error: no screens found"

I am fairly new to linux, but have used pcs for a long time. I could not find a solution for this issue.

please help

stats
debian-30r1-i386-binary-1.iso
geforce2 mx-200 vga
Jim
There is something wrong with your /etc/X11/XF86Config file, or the modules that run your video card. What kind of card is it? I would guess you haven't installed the specific module for that kind of card, so tell us what the card is and we can tell you what you need to install, or what you need to fix in your config file.
sethcross
geforce2 mx-200 vga
sethcross
can anyone offer ,at least, the first step in the process?
DS2K3
Sorry, forums don't normally move that fast. Especially as it is a weekend and lots of people only check the forum when they have spare time at work.
Jim
It was a fluke that I was up that late, my roommate and I did all three Back to the Future moves back to back. Ok, you are going to need to install the modules for the nvidia card.

Boot your system up and get a command line. Run the command
CODE
wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...0-6629-pkg1.run

If it wont run that means your internet connection isn't working, you will need to get it somehow else then. You can get it from this page http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...0-6629-pkg1.run

Ounce you have the file you just need to follow the instructions in the readme.
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...6629/README.txt

Its really pretty easy, just run the file and make the required changes to your /etc/X11/XF86Config file and you should be on your way. Remember to do this whole thing as root, and if you have any more questions just ask.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.