Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please Help With Seting Up Webserver Redhat 9
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
kicon
iam absolutely new. i just hosting a redhat 9 server. i dont know how to configure it to be like a webserver so i can upload download using ftp and browse my website in the browser. would anyone please help me with this.
DS2K3
Is the server local or remote? Does it ahve any packages installed on it, or is is just basic OS utilites?

D
hughesjr
I would not recommend using RH9 ... there are no more security updates from RedHat for this product. Instead, for a server, I would recommend a RedHat clone like CentOS.
kicon
how would i figure the server is local or remote? i think i already have something install on it. when i go to the server icon. i saw the a whole bunch of icons call apache sever, dns server, cvs server, dhcp server,fetchmail retrieval, jabber im sever, majordomo list manager, mysql database server..... and i click on the apache and dns server there was something already install in it but some other said:

The DHCP server /usr/sbin/dhcpd could not be found on your system. Maybe it is not installed, or your DHCP module configuration is incorrect.

i think some script already install on it and some wasnt.
kicon
ok i just asked them. they said my server is remote to me but it is local to thier datacenter.
DS2K3
Local means you ahve physical access to it, ie it is in your house or place of work. Remote means you cant physically go and touch it, because it is somewhere else, possible half way round the world.

It sounds like you are using Webmin to configure the server, which is a pretty self-explanatory package.

You have some software isntalled, in which case Webmin will see it and let you configure it, but you dont ahve others installed (like DHCP). You dont need DHCP, because your server isnt used to allocate IP addresses to others..

If the Apache config doesnt work, then you need to install it.

However, the fact you dont have a local server will make chaging to a different (newer) distribution a bit tricky, and you might have to ask your host to do it for you.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.