Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Microsoft Windows
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
spudgunjake
I need to use windows xp, i want to do this via linux, can anyone tell me how to do it.

i have linux red hat or suse 9.2 on one drive and xp on another. but i would like to run xp straight from linux.

please help.

john.
DS2K3
You could get an emulator, but the good ones are expensive, and the free ones are damn-near impssible to setup and get working... It wll also run about 1/3 of the speed it would runon it's own. It probably isnt worth it, but if you are interested try www.vmware.com for information about their Virtual Machine (emulator) software.

D
spudgunjake
tx for the reply,

I have amd 64bit 3200 + 2 raided sata drives, with gforce 5900xt, 1gb

i installed red hat se, how can i tell if its 64 bit version.
DS2K3
Unless you donwloaded/purchased the version for 64-bit processors, then it will be 32-bit

D
docmur
I think that you can install windows xp rigth into wine. I use suse linux 9.2 pro and I was able to run the windows xp setup program rigth in wine. Try It
Corey
No, you can't install Windows XP through Wine, that's not what wine does. Wine is just a compatibility layer, not an emulator (hense the name, WINE=Wine Is Not (an) Emulator)

As far as I know, you can download a trial version from VMware, and use that for 30 days (although, my trial version has never expired). If you like it, then you can purchase it, this is the only real reliable way of running XP from within Linux.

Vice-versa is a bit easier, due to the open nature of linux, you can actually run it from within Windows by either using an implementation like Cygwin, or using a native linux version called "CoLinux".
docmur
I mean that I have got an upgrade version of windows XP to run in wine. Maybe it was a freak thing like once in a life time but I swear it ran and let the install take place. As I know that wine is special for each version of linux could the suse linux version of wine have an ability maybe others don't or could have just been a one shoot deal. If it was a deal then I take back my old statement but it did run for me and I think I could get it to happen again under the rigth circumstance.
Okay if windows can't install under wine can it install under cedega? I know it only adds Directx compat to wine but hay I could try. The comment about using VMware, I know on VMware 4.0.5 that windows would install and run but I could never get any games to work or some times software would go down. Did the new version of VMware fix this problem.
DS2K3
The install will run, but Windows wont. You can run the isntall program from inside a real copy of windows, but you cant run Windows from inside Windows.
Termina
Cedega = WineX

It is not an emulator, but it *can* emulate DirectX.

If you want to run 2 operating systems at the same time, do it the other way. Install XP, and run Linux on that. =)
DS2K3
Although by running Linux inside windows, you lose most of the benefits. eg - You can still tet all manner of viruses without doing anything, and the reliability is only as good as XP.
Termina
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Jan 27 2005, 11:20 AM)
Although by running Linux inside windows, you lose most of the benefits. eg - You can still tet all manner of viruses without doing anything, and the reliability is only as good as XP.

On the other hand, he'll be able to run the applications he needs (which I assume is why he wants to run windows, and not use the programs through wine). smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.