Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake Nvidia Video Driver Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
phite
Ok, my situation is this...

I installed Mandrake 9 and I have an Asus V7100 pure (geforece 2 32mb) card. My computer is a dually (MSI 694D Pro2, dual PIII 733s).

I downloaded NVchooser.sh and ran it, then downloaded and installed the proper drivers.

problem is that I cannot run in gui mode...

especially while in SMP...every time I am running in SMP mode (default runlevel is 3) and type "startx", I get the Nvidia splash screen, then a red screen, then the KDE 3.0 loading window...it does fine up to that point but then the computer freezes at the "loading windows manager" screen every time. Completely frozen, nothing works at all. Nothing unusual appears in the XFree86.0.log file (from my newbie point of view anyway :cool.gif, there are no (EE) entries or anything like that.

When I change the default runlevel to 5, I get the GUI screen that asks what type of boot it should go through, "linux", "linux - smp", and a couple other options. I select "linux" (which is single processor mode, "linux - smp" is dual mode). I see a bunch of things loading (still in gui mode), then at what would seem to be the final part of the booting/loading stage, the screen goes straight to the command line prompt and I lose the GUI. When I check the XFree86.0.log file, I see this entry:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Any suggestions?

thanks
phite
it was suggested by someone else that I disable Xinerama. How would I go about doing this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.