Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help For A Will Be Newbie
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
evilc77
I am about to try Mandrake v.10.1 and have been reading as much as I can here in the forums regarding any problems I may encounter with my computer setups/hardware, most of my queries and answers seem to be here (no doubt there will be some hiccups) but I have a small list of questions.

1/ I have set a partition of 10g for Linux but have not formatted it yet, what format do I use or will Mandrake do it.

2/ I will be keeping Winxp for now so I must use a dual boot system Lilo or Acronis OS Selector, when I have everything running properly how would I remove the dual boot if I use Lilo, and to which part of Linux system to add the partition used by Winxp.

3/ If I want to upgrade a program will it rewrite over the old or will I have to uninstall/delete.

Sorry for asking what may seem dumb questions but have learned in the past it's important to get the initial installation right the first time
Thanks.
DS2K3
Installation will format for you, but you will need to have more than 1 partiton anyway (you need a SWAP partition, a nit like virtual memory under sindows, but installation will handle that for you)

Im not sure what you mean by the second question

It depends how you do it, if you use RPMs (the "normal" and probably easiest way), then it will overwirte the old version.

D
michaelk
It is best to leave unallocated space and let the installer automatically create the required partitions.
dishawjp
[quote]
1/ I have set a partition of 10g for Linux but have not formatted it yet, what format do I use or will Mandrake do it.
[/quote]
I believe the default for Mandrake is ext3, but don't worry, the installer will create and format the partitions within the free space you've created.
[quote]
2/ I will be keeping Winxp for now so I must use a dual boot system Lilo or Acronis OS Selector, when I have everything running properly how would I remove the dual boot if I use Lilo, and to which part of Linux system to add the partition used by Winxp.
[/quote]
That's a bit more difficult. The best solution would be to back up all your data files (burn to CD?) and reinstall the OS telling it to remove all partitions, DOS and Linux, and use the entire hard drive for the install. When you do that, you *may* want to create a separate /home partition so that if you decide to upgrade your Linux OS in the future, you can have it leave your /home partition (which stores all personal and user created data and document files) alone and just upgrade the OS.
[quote]
3/ If I want to upgrade a program will it rewrite over the old or will I have to uninstall/delete.
[/quote]
If you use the rpm (or urpmi?) commands to install, it will upgrade your program and delete any prior versions. I believe Mandrake also has some distro-specific installer/updater which will allow point and click installs and upgrades. I've never used Mandrake myself, but I believe this is the case.

HTH,

Jim Dishaw
evilc77
Thanks for the quick response, the only one that concerns me now is is the partitioning the drive I plan to use is 60g and Winxp takes up 6g. My intention is to dump XP when I have Linux running properly and use that partition as a backup area only.
Jim
That will be very easy. All you will have to do is use fdisk from a command line in linux to format it. Ounce you do that, you can mount it at any point you want.

Fdisk is simple to use. To bring up a disk to format just run fdisk /dev/hda as root. Then you just need to delete the current partition by entering d then the number to delete, and then make a new one with n. Ounce you have it the way you want write it, w. Thats whats nice about fdisk, if you screw up in the middle, just quit q and since it doesn't write till the end, you won't have done any damage.

As for that partition, what I would recomend, if you are using it for backup purposes, is not to have it auto mount. That way if something goes wrong, it is less likely that the data will get damaged. Just mount it manually when you are doing your back up, than unmount it. Mandrake will probably set it up to automatically mount it, so you will need to turn that off. If you need help, just come on back and ask. Goodluck, and I hope everything goes well for ya.
evilc77
Thanks Jim, brain full of cobwebs:) Just thought about it and realised I could use Acronis TrueImage and change winxp partition for backup partition. Now all ready for linux ( waiting for post )
DS2K3
I believe Mandrake also has some distro-specific installer/updater which will allow point and click installs and upgrades. I've never used Mandrake myself, but I believe this is the case.

Nope - Just RPMs - it does ahve a very nice RPM management tool though
Jim
Sory, I didn't realize you were waiting for that. Yes, Mandrake has a very quick and easy package management tool, as well as a system updater. The update will just check and make sure you have the most current versions of all the packages you already have installed, while the management tool allows you to quickly find packages to install and uninstall.

If you need help with either ounce you are up and running, just ask.
evilc77
Have got Mandrake up and running had hiccup with bootloader (failedto work) reinstalled without loader and using acronis all going well now. I am working my way around to find everything and tried to load firefox v1.0 rpm, went in ok and shows up in web browserss (not misspelt that's how it added) but clicking on icon it trys to start but nothing happens?
How can I get firefox to work ( had a look around seems to be a problem). Another querie how can I copy from windows some pics and where would you suggest I store them?

The only other thing I need to do now is get my Internet running I have a ISDN telephone and on the disc is the setup program for Linux but under Linux I can't see any files on the disc ( don't open) but other normal disc's do?? Have to contact Telstra my ISP to solve that one.

Thanks for the help up to now hopefully won't need to hound everyone for help much longer smile.gif
DS2K3
Go into a console (run -> "konsole") then type "firefox" and see if any errors get printed to the screen. If they do, then I suggest you get the official installer which seems to work fine in MDK10.1 (unless you have SCIM installed...)

Your windows drive is probably accessible from /mnt/windows or something similar. If not, then you can use the tool int eh configuration centre to pick where it is mounted (ie where it joins your main filesystem). As for stroing pics, you could probably just store them in your home directory, although back them up onto CD if you ahvent already, hard dics do crash, and it is a shame to lose photos

D
evilc77
Found out Telstra ISDN don't support Linux also on checking my USB hardware i.e scanner, webcam, printer and modem the only one that works is the printer! there is also no sound yet when I was installing the program it claimed to see all them.
From what I have been reading around MDK 10.1 seems to have a lot of problems so I am thinking of some other make of Linux to use, any suggestions. My main use is Internet, letters and spreadsheets and modifing photo's.

Thanks
DS2K3
Scanners sometimes take a bit of tweaking, and USB modems tend to need additional dirvers. This sin't so much a problem with Linux, but with the attitudes of hardware manufacturers towards supporting anything but Windows and Mac.

Default MDK installs have sound muted, so just double check that isnt the problem.

I havent had many (any?) problems using MDK 10.1 - Although 10.0 wasnt as stable as normal.

D
evilc77
DSK3 thanks for your info, my main concern is I have an ISDN NT1 Plus2 telephone system (Australia) which give me 128k connection via USB. I saw on another site someone with the same and was able to get it fixed tried to contact but no reply.
If I can't get this fixed it means I cabn't use Linux as I must keep this connection, the other problems are minor and over time I can find the answers/fix.

Got some info from Telstra (telephone Co) don't support Linux but gave me some info how to maybe get it to work, they tell me to use wvdial to find/edit wvdial.conf but don't have it any suggestions where I can get this file? to try.
DS2K3
You can download na wvdial RPM from here: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...k.i586.rpm.html

D
evilc77
I am still having problems trying to get this modem to work with Mandrake 10.1, just to recap this is what I have found out and told to do up to now.

Change the USB to RS232C ..... still don't see modem/port

Get Wvdial... got it found it don't work 2 hours later (searching) find out wvdial
also needs Wvstreams???

Get Wvstreams..... tried to install failed at make make install

Back to site.. find out wvstreams full of bugs!!!!

In the meantime others have said, MDK10.1 has problem with udev what ever that is, others say the Kernel 2.6.8 is at fault and suggest I update or change it to later version. Get told to go to MDK site use update from control, HA HA how can I go there with NO internet connection!!!

I have read that Redhat has no problems detecting isdn usb or rs232c modem but I can't get redhat to work I don't get any monitor even basic vga. I picked MDK10.1 because after running the move disc was impressed with the whole layout and able to compare with Mickysoft .

Can someone please help me get my internet up so I can ditch MS for good.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.