Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Printer Installation
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
fordno1
I am installing a HP Office Jet. It is parallel port. I use Mandrake 10.0. I am unable to get it to install. The computer finds the printer but there are errors regarding the cups server. The error is:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.

Any ideas. Thanks

Mike
Joey
It's been quite a while since I set up printing in linux but is the cups daemon running? You should be able to start it from /etc/inet.d/
fordno1
Thanks for the reply but I don't understand what you mean by --/etc/inet.d/ -- Could you give me more detailed instruction. I am so new to this linux idea that I don't understand it quite yet. One thing I failed to mention that might make a difference is that the printer is hooked up through my ZIP drive. The zip drive is parallel so I plugged the printer cable into the back of the zip drive. The zip drive then in turn plugs into the parallel port on the back side of the pc. I don't know if that matters but it might be important. Thanks for any information

Mike
fordno1
I found another forum with kind of the same problem. I tried to "urpmi cups" in konsole. I received this error message:

Some package requested cannot be installed:
cups-1.1.20-5.3.100mdk.i586 (due to missing cups-common-1.1.20-5.3.100mdk.i586)
cups-common-1.1.20-5.3.100mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libslp.so.1) (Y/n)

Any ideas on this??

Thanks
DS2K3
You cna install cups from the MDK CDs - Just use the software installation tool in drakconf

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.