Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Partition Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
pickleman78
Alright, I have been searching for 2 days for an answer on this, but haven't yet found one. Recently, I was using PartitionMagic 8.0 to change the size of one of my partitions, I then used parted to resize my reiserfs partition to slightly larger because I had stupidly created it too small. When I went to restart, apparently my partitions got totally messed up and I cannot boot windows anymore.

I am currently running Slackware 9.1. I can mount my windows NTFS partition via linux, and it can find, read, and use all the files on there just fine, so I know all the data is still there, but I'm trying to get this sorted out without having to reformat. Here is some other various info:

output of fdisk -l
CODE
root@cheese:/home/jeremy# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1               1         583     4682443+   b  W95 FAT32
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hda2   *         583       15622   120802185    7  HPFS/NTFS
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hda3           15622       16807     9521347+  83  Linux

and of sfdisk
CODE
root@cheese:/home/jeremy# sfdisk -V -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 19457 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1          0+    582-    583-   4682443+   b  W95 FAT32
               end: (c,h,s) expected (582,239,63) found (990,149,63)
/dev/hda2   *    582+  15621-  15040- 120802185    7  HPFS/NTFS
               start: (c,h,s) expected (582,150,1) found (990,60,1)
               end: (c,h,s) expected (1023,254,63) found (1023,149,63)
/dev/hda3      15621+  16806    1186-   9521347+  83  Linux
/dev/hda4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
Warning: partitions 1 and 2 overlap

/dev/hda1 is the recovery partition that ships with the computer
/dev/hda2 is the windows partition
/dev/hda3 is my linux partition

I have completely run out of ideas, so I'm hoping maybe someone here can help me
[/code]
Jim
What error are you getting when you try to boot? My guess is that your grub file got screwed up some how. Double check your grub.conf file or your lilo.conf file to make sure they are pointing to your windows drive.
You sound like you know what your doing so I am not going to write out a detailed how-to on this, but if you do need help, just come back and ask, I would be more than willing to help you out. Good luck.
pickleman78
Currently, I am using the windows bootloader, which is not giving me an error, it just blinks a cursor with no error. When I used LILO, I had it pointed at my windows partition however when I would try and boot windows, I got the same problem, it would just show me a cursor and stop.
Jim
You did some how manage to chage the partition number of your windows system did you? I am a little baffled by this, I am not quite sure what it means.

When you use Lilo though you get the Lilo screen, and same with the windows boot loader, its just when you try to actually load windows?

Grrrr...hum..... let me think about that one.
pickleman78
Ya, now I have a problem getting lilo to install though..... I tried to install it to the MBR, but that keeps failing, so I don't know what to do there. Maybe my windows boot.ini got messed up somewhere along the line? I have finally got my partitions aligned correctly, but now I think I am bootloader less, I think I'm gonna try GRUB though because I hear its better..... Still have no clue what got messed up, but ya. Just for the interested, I had to search my hard-drive using a program called PTD by hand to find the partition superblocks then use cfdisk and a calculator to get everything set up right again. So now I know my partitions are right, and fdisk, cfdisk, and sfdisk all report all is well, so maybe this will work....

I also have an XP install disk so I can get to a recovery console through that now, is that any help to you perhaps?
And thanks so much for helping me out, you're the only person to reply at any of the boards I've looked at.

Edit: Ok, So I did a fixboot and fixmbr and now it appears ntldr sees the windows partition, but jumps to "Error loading operating system." So, I'm gonna keep hitting at it, I did get lilo installed again, so we'll see how it goes, I'll let you know

Next Edit: Ok, now with lilo, I select windows, and then it says Loading Windows, then stops and thats as far as I get....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.