Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do I Access Windows Partition
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mjh56
I have just installed Redhat on dual booy, how do i access my files in the Windows partition from Linux?
Jim
if your windows partition is fat32 you just need a simple mount command.

First make a place to mount it mkdir /mnt/windows

then mount it mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows that is asuming that your windows drive is the first partition on your primary drive, if it isn't, you will need to make the nessicary changes.

If your drive is NTFS, it gets a little more complicated and you will need to install the NTFS tools needed to read the format.
mjh56
Thanks Jim, but as you might guess it is NTFS, can u point me at anywhere wehre i can get detailed intructions - cheers
michaelk
To add NTFS read support without recompiling the kernel.
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

or

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Never have used captive.
Jim
Might I make a suggestion before you get in to deap here. RedHat is dead, they are no longer releasing security updates or bug fixes for it. No new features or up-grades are comming out. Might I suggest you take a look at Fedora for the simple reason that updates and supports are still comming out. Fedora doesn't have built in NTFS support either because it is based in the US and NTFS is pattented, but it can also be added, usually with more success than RedHat.

By no means am I telling you that you have to switch, just that it might be a good idea to consider before you get yourself to settled in. If you have any more questions, please ask.
beltucadros
depends on what red hat you are using if you are on fedora they have security and/or kernel updates nearly every week
Jim
Thats why I suggested Fedora. Red Hat usually referes to, well, Red Hat. There are really three products that the compony Red Hat puts out. Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora Core, and Red Hat. Red Hat has stoped making updates for Red Hat and only updates Fedora Core and RHE. Thats why I recomend using Fedora Core* if you want to use a Red Hat Product.

*unless its a server, then use a RHE clone like WhiteBox or CentOS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.