Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Booting Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
fordno1
Just wondering if this means anything. First of all when I reboot it takes a few times to boot up. I run into problems while loading and then it will restart. Says that it has to system integrity and does then finds errors and asks me if I want to correct them. It will load to console mode, I type "startx" and it will not load. I restart it and it will be fine. Sometimes, no problem on boot up. I do receive this message though when the desktop appears:

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'devices'.

Does that mean anything. If not, ok. If so, how do I correct it.

Thanks

I am running Mandrake 10.0 official.
Jim
Well to state the obvious, soemthing is wrong. Does the problem have any relation to the shutdown processes? Something may not be being released correctly, and then causing problems on boot.

It could also be related to a program you left running when you shut down. KDE will try to restore all the programs you had up and running when you log back in. Make sure you shut down every program completely before loging out, see if that helps.
Hemant
Try to switch to runlevel 5..edit the file /etc/inittab and on the runlevel line put 5.

After that GUI should start correctly.If it doesn't then..switch to GDM from KDM.edit /etc/inittab and at the end..put following lines..

...../usr/bin/gdm -nodameon

this will do.
fordno1
Thanks for the feedback. Right now the computer is working great. Haven't had to restart it for awhile now. When I do have to restart, if it does it again, I will put in those lines and wait and see. Thanks for all your help

Newbie---Mike
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.