Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Makes Slackware So Fast?
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
spiroth10
Ive recently started using slackware -- and its fricking awesome!!!
it runs SOOO much faster on my PC then other distros... It can run so well, that Im going to try gnome and KDE on it soon, and I only have about 50-64 MB ram and a crappy 667mhz celeron processor.

what makes the speed increase so dramatic? is it because slackware tweaks the system for your hardware?
Its mind boggling to me...

icewm even started to run slowly after a few minutes when I used redhat -- now I can use it as long as I want with no decrese in performance...

it runs MUCH more quickly the windows ever did (when I used to use it...)
Corey
For the most part, it all depends on what is running in the background. I haven't used Slackware in years, so I have no idea about it. But, one would assume that if Slackware is running faster than Redhat, then chances are, Slackware will install less services by default, and therefore uses less memory. I know in my years of using Redhat, there were a lot of services that ran in the background that I didn't even use. The reason for this was most likely because I used a 'typical' install rather than a custom install, and therefore Redhat installed everything that it thought i would need.

As far as I know, Slackware packages are compiled against the i386 architecture (as is most distributions), so, I don't think there's anything specifically 'tweaked' for your processor.

The bottom line is, most people find varying levels of success with different distributions depending on what they use it for, and what they're running on. For example, many Gentoo fans will rave at the fact that their distribution is completly compiled for their particular hardware setups including processor optimizations. Well, I have used Gentoo myself, but don't find the speed increase any different than running, say Debian. There are some obvious speed improvements from distributions that try to set everything up for you automatically like Redhat, Mandrake and SUSE, but that's just the nature of the beast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.