Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New To Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
dizz63
Hey,

I am new to Linux. I have a Redhat manual with the installationi cds and I have gotten an old P III up and running at the desk top. But I am having trouble setting up the servers as i can not seem to be able to open a page editor that will allow me to change the configuration documents. The manual i am using does not address this issue.

Please help

Dizz
michaelk
You need to be logged in as root (The linux system administrator) to edit files in the /etc directory.
The smart way to log in as root is to open a console window and type in the command:
su -
<enter root passward at the prompt>
Then open up a text editor like:
kwrite filetoedit.

If your already logged in as root just clicking on the file name in the file browser will not open the file for writing. Right click and select a text editor.
dizz63
hey,

Thanks for the response. your instructions did not work. when i typed "kwrite filetoedit" on the root comand line the reponse i got was
-bash: kwrite: command not found

sorry for the trouble
michaelk
You can use any editor. My bad cause I use KDE. What desktop are you running?
dizz63
GNOME

I think
dizz63
GNOME - is for sure
dizz63
i dont understand why gedit does not open when i type gedit at the command line. i am in the root user. i am missing a command?
Peeyush Maurya
for changing configuration you can also use
vi or vim
vi is widely used and can only be run at console or terminal but definetly its very good.

Regards,
Peeyush Maurya
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.