Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unmounted Cd Problem.
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
jdoyleoss
I performed my first ever Linux install of Suse 9.2 on an IBM A20, and immediately moved the hard drive over to a IBM 600X (older laptop).

One of the problems that I'm having is that it cannot read from the CD on this machine. When I login as a user, and view the CD in Konqueror it says that the CD is unmounted. When I try to enter it, I get an Error dialog that says "Could not enter folder /media/cdrom. All of this sounds fine. But when I run mount, it appears that the drive is mounted. I can't umount here, because I'm not root.

When I start a session as root, Konqueror and mount show the same behavior, but when I try to umount the drive, it succeeds, and I can then access it through Konqueror, but it doesn't show me any files. The folder appears empty. I then canít mount the drive again, mount complains that it " can't find dev/hdc in etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.

Any suggestions? Is there any way that I perhaps can do a general 'refresh' of all of the hardware, as there are probably other problems lurking from my hard drive switch? Please be specific, as I'm obviously a Linux newby.

Thanks
Peeyush Maurya
command to check which devices is mounted.
mount
use this command to see if your cdrom is mounted ..if yes ..mounted to which directory..if its already mounted..umount it ..then insert cdrom and mount again

when I try to umount the drive, it succeeds, and I can then access it through Konqueror, but it doesn't show me any files. The folder appears empty. I then canít mount the drive again, mount complains that it " can't find dev/hdc in etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

once you had mounted the cdrom drive and if you see the drive content..it will definetly show it emtpy...this is normal. when mounting cdrom you have to specify complete command otherwise it look for the point point in /etc/fstab or /etc/mntab

mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
above it just an sample where ... /dev/hdc is cdrom drive..and .. /mnt/cdrom is the directory where you what to mount cdrom

Regards,
Peeyush Maurya
linux-faqs.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.