Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help With Nforce M/b With Onboard Nic
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
azzam
I'm completely new with Linux, so please be patient with me smile.gif

I have an nforce 2 motherboard, and want to get the onboard NIC working. Currently I have an Intel 100 Pro nic in the PCI that was detected and setup fine. I plan on using this as a gateway/server, so need dual NICs. I've installed Debian.

After a couple of days of stuffing around, I have successfully compiled a new kernel using 2.6.9 source, and using the kernel option for the nforce NIC, but have no idea what to do next.

How can I confirm if the nforce NIC has been detected, or do I have to install some sort of driver for it? How do I go about configuring it, as the Intel NIC was easy to configure using the initial Debian installer?
Jim
I also have a NVIDIA m/b with on-board nic so I should be able to help you out. Upgrading the kernel was the right thing to do. Make sure that you are using that kernel when you boot up. If you aren't sure, just run the command unamre -r

As for seeing if the nic is there. Run the command lspci -vb it will print out all the "hardware" on your system, including the on-board stuff. It should show up, if it doesn't, we can work from there.
clokwurk
a simple ifconfig at command line should bring up all nics and coresponding info.
Jim
ifconfig will only work if they are configured proporely, lspci will kick them out no matter what (more or less.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.