Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 Hardrives .suse
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
myformerself
im installing suse on my 12 gig . after the installation i want to hook up my 2 other drives .

from what i remember my drives would make this box pop up and i get scared cause i have mp3's and all kinds of things on the drive . i dont want it to reformat the drives .

how do i get it to recognize the drives without reformatting it and losing all of my files on the other two drives ?

whats that box that pops up after it reboots and i connect my drives ? is that box for reformatting ?
tormentedtoo
First we have to start with what format are the drives?

All have to do with your fstab file in /etc:

Fat32=
Add- /dev/hd?? /mountpoint vfat umask=000 0 0
where?? is is hd number and mountpoint is where you want the drive to appear on the file system

My fat in fstab
/dev/hdb1 /netdrive vfat umask=000 0 0

NTFS=
there is a special program to read ntfs filesystems its called kernel-ntfs-<version>
install that and then the same for fat32

example:
/dev/hd?? /mointpoint ntfs umask=000 0 0

kernel-ntfs availible at linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net

Good luck
Jim
The better question is how are you adding three drives? Are you using both your IDE channels for HD? If so where are you putting your opitcal drives? Or are you using RAID? The RAID may cause some problems if you don't have the right modules installed. If you are just using your on-board IDE channels (not on-board RAID) you will be fine and you wont have to reformat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.