Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Booted Windows
Linuxhelp > In The Community > Polls
Corey
A lot of people try to 'kick' the Windows habbit, how successful are you? It's been a few weeks since i logged in, but i only ever use Windows at home from some games and iTunes.
Robert83
Hi,

I still think windows is the best for games...when I'm at home...(and usualy drunk smile.gif ) I prefer the click here click there and warcraft3 starts (or nfs6 ... starcraft ... jedi knight) .

At work , I only use windows to read webpages ... and works on my linux workstation (wbel 3.0).

let's admit it...windows is still far superior then linux when looking at the media part... and to tell you the truth... I think if (somehow... Jesus would show me the way) there would be a way to stop spyware adware ,windows would be quiet enyojable with the linux proxy server firewall mail server etc... server combo, it's like the shepherd(linux) to for the sheep (windows). Personaly I think WinXP with SP2 (with spyware / adware protection) is pretty good.

Sincerely
Robert B

ps.: this is what I think about the situation (I know I'm not to old...nor do I have to much experience with networking windows linux (only 1 year) )... forgive me If I offended someone...
DS2K3
Windows has the games, but if they were made avialble for Linux, there would be no need to boot up in windows ever...

Luckily, Wine is getting there, slowly...

D
beltucadros
windows also has the hardware support, but i think thats cause of the user base. the hardware companies know most people use windows so they dont worry about us in linux land, as much. ati has recently come around and started offerign support for its new cards. i personally am not a big game player, and the only real media i use is MP3's so as far as i am conserned linux kicks windows *ss
hughesjr
At home, I have a windows XP workstation, but I hardly ever use it ... just to do my taxes and maybe to play games sometimes. I don't even have my e-mail setup on there anymore.

At work, I have a dual boot workstation (Windows XP/ CentOS 3) ... and I only boot windows when required to do security updates on it smile.gif.

I do manage a windows network at work, but I do it via windows terminal server or Citrix and open up an Administrator desktop on the Windows server from my Linux machine.
Termina
Games, totally. Especially the free ones (Kal Online!) which arn't supported by the transgaming team due to... well, lack of players I suppose. That and they're lazy. wink.gif
DS2K3
At work, I have a dual boot workstation (Windows XP/ CentOS 3) ... and I only boot windows when required to do security updates on it

Isn't that a bit catch22? No windows = No need to do secrity updates = No need to have Windows

That is like having an egg just to sit on... (Best metaphor I could think of.. Call me crazy...)

D
dUc0N
**builds a fire under game developers to follow Epic's lead and support Linux natively**

I have to admit I still use Windows (XP Pro +SP1) on my laptop, though I got rid of Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, and Microsoft Office for Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice.org (respectively). This summer when I have more time and am doing a bit less traveling I'll work on hacking all my gadgets (camera, webcam, PDA, etc.) and getting my laptop on the penguin too.

EDIT: Actually, I gave that some thought, and what I'm likely to do is still run a small, cheap Windows box somewhere on my network, and just use a utility like VNC or rdesktop to login to it whenever I need to 'borrow' Windows' functionality. I looked into it online and the hardware cost should be right around US $300 for that.
DS2K3
Although VNC tends to be a bit jerky, and not very much fun for using for any length of time. Tough I guess that depnds on the network and the Windows Box...
Hemant
It is kind of funny,i was not able to use windows on my home machine.I have tried quite a few times but it fails(i have some problem with hrd disk)..

But Linux rocks...and here Only Linux since last 6 months.

Can anybody help me with windows problem.

It gets installed all right,but whenever i try to open few application it restarts.
spiroth10
QUOTE (beltucadros @ Jan 11 2005, 01:54 AM) *
windows also has the hardware support, but i think thats cause of the user base. the hardware companies know most people use windows so they dont worry about us in linux land, as much. ati has recently come around and started offerign support for its new cards. i personally am not a big game player, and the only real media i use is MP3's so as far as i am conserned linux kicks windows *ss

I totally agree. I only went back to windows in the past year or two because my ISP (AOL <-- teh suxx0rz) was not under my control (I'm 16 and live at home, my parents buy it).

I was able to *convince* them to get another ISP, and now Im back using linux -- for good this time. My PC is nowhere near being able to run any recent games (Compaq Presario 5410US), and it's the most powerful PC I've ever had, so gaming is totally out of the question for me. Everything I can do in windows, I can do in linux; and better.
g33k
QUOTE (spiroth10 @ Jun 26 2006, 08:02 AM) *
My PC is nowhere near being able to run any recent games (Compaq Presario 5410US), and it's the most powerful PC I've ever had, so gaming is totally out of the question for me. Everything I can do in windows, I can do in linux; and better.

Same here..My PC also won't support latest games (after 2005 ones) tongue.gif..i don't play much games though!! n linux has everything i need.. smile.gif
Well my webcam is *windows* only i guess..so to do voice video chat stuff also i have to move to Windows sad.gif
My windows is a bare bone edition with no unnecessary stuff (like help, IE, Windows Media Player etc wink.gif ) installed in a 6GB primary partition biggrin.gif (with more than 3.8GB free)
DS2K3
I have to use Windows at work sad.gif

I will hopefully be able to get Linux when my new desktop arrives biggrin.gif
sudsucker
Why limit yourself? Isn't two O.S.'s better than one? (HMMM, maybe I should buy a MAC)

QUOTE (sudsucker @ Oct 3 2006, 12:21 AM) *
Why limit yourself? Isn't two O.S.'s better than one? (HMMM, maybe I should buy a MAC)

Damn, wish I could edit my posts, I should have typed Aren't two O.S.'s better than one?!
BridgitJohnson
QUOTE (Robert83 @ Nov 17 2004, 04:42 PM) *
Hi,

I still think windows is the best for games...when I'm at home...(and usualy drunk smile.gif ) I prefer the click here click there and warcraft3 starts (or nfs6 ... starcraft ... jedi knight) .

At work , I only use windows to read webpages ... and works on my linux workstation (wbel 3.0).

let's admit it...windows is still far superior then linux when looking at the media part... and to tell you the truth... I think if (somehow... Jesus would show me the way) there would be a way to stop spyware adware ,windows would be quiet enyojable with the linux proxy server firewall mail server etc... server combo, it's like the shepherd(linux) to for the sheep (windows). Personaly I think WinXP with SP2 (with spyware / adware protection) is pretty good.

Sincerely
Robert B

ps.: this is what I think about the situation (I know I'm not to old...nor do I have to much experience with networking windows linux (only 1 year) )... forgive me If I offended someone...

Totally agree, I also still use Windows OS almost entire week, especially for enjoying media contents. But Linux is also my second most used platform especially to do my work and projects
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.