Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Configuration
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
timnkate
I need to know the difference between the configuration data stored in files within the /etc/sysconfig directory and service-specific configuration data stored in other subdirectories of /etc. blink.gif
Corey
I'm not totally familier with /etc/sysconfig, but here is my guess:

/etc stores individual configuration files for programs on your system, this is common among all flavours of Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, SUSE, Debian, Gentoo).

/etc/sysconfig is more flavor-oriented and how the program interacts with the rest of the distribution.

For example, LIRC (Linux Infrared program), stores it's configuration file in /etc/lircd.conf. This configuration file tells the lircd daemon what keypress on a remote control correspond to what command. This is a common thing among any distribution of linux.

On a SUSE system, there is a file called /etc/sysconfig/lircd which, among other things, contains configuration for the start-stop daemon in SUSE such as what module it uses, what the device node is, etc.

Hope this helps.
hughesjr
Some distros use /etc/sysconfig ... others use /etc/default.

These files are usually configuration files for the /etc/init.d/scripts ... but not for the services themselves ...

For example, in RedHat there is an /etc/ntp.conf file to configure NTP. This file is per the NTP documentation and is the same on all versions/Distros of Linux. There is also a file named /etc/sysconfig/ntpd that is the configuration file for the REDHAT script that starts NTP (/etc/init.d/ntpd). So you configure the program NTP via /etc/ntp.conf ... but you configure the startup/shutdown script for NTP (/etc/init.d/ntpd) in the file /etc/sysconfig/ntpd.

Hopefully this is making sense smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.