Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change Ownership Of Mounted Fat Partition
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
iasp
hi there

i have encountered a linux related problem recently that you may be able to help me with:
during my latest linux installation i have created a new FAT partition, accessible from both linux and windows, to put my personal files upon.
now the problem is that the operating system lists user "root" as this directory's owner and the only one(!) to have permission to write or change files in this directory.
now i would like either to change the owner of this directory (=the partition) or to grant users other than "root" writing permission, so that i can make changes to the files stored there when i am logged in as a regular user. yet, i do not know how to do so, since the commands "chmod", "chown", "chgrp" all seem useless in this special case and i don't even know why!

maybe someone can help me here...? blink.gif

thanks and greetings from frankfurt, germany
iasp
michaelk
You can not change permissions when the FAT32 filesystem is mounted.
Also to add read/write permissions for all add the umask=000 option to the associated entry in the /etc/fstab file for this partition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.