Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Samba Integration With Ads
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
end-user
Can someone tell me how to get my linux box (SUSE 9.1) connected to an existing ADS tree? What I want to do is: 1) see Win shares from the linux system, and ultimately find a way for some daemons to access those shares (but, right now I'd settle for user access); 2) see shares on the linux box from the network (I think I can manage creation of shares - it's the authentication I'm having issues with); and 3) logon to linux using ADS user authentication (except for root).

I've looked reall hard at the samba.org how-to's, but, frankly, I'm a little impatient. There's /a lot/ of information in those how-to's, and I find myself drowning. Someone out there has to have some kind of experience with this, and I was hoping they could spare a few minutes to explain it to me.

TIA
end-user
sad.gif Noone has any help?
end-user
dry.gif This is very disappointing.
Robert83
Hi,

forgive smile.gif

You see we have our own jobs...and the thing that your question was not answered was probably because all of us had hard days at our working place.

but for you to mount a windows share (to see it)

you can do the following

install samba-client

mount -t smbfs -o username=robert,password=robert //robert-2k256/My' 'Documents /mnt/robert

this would do the following
using user name robert and password robert it would mount the My Document (because of the space you need this ' ' put the space beetween the two ' ' see? ) to /mnt/robert , which you need to create on the linux computer with mkdir /mnt/robert

that's it for mounting.

Sincerely
Robert B
Robert83
Hi,

so for the linux box to share stuff on the network you need samba (www.samba.org) but with suse you can download it from their site with Yast2(?)

then cd /etc/samba
using mc (it's really easier...sorta norton commander)
or vi

you can edit the smb.conf file (which has examples in it on how to share stuff with it)
if you have further questions please ask

you can start the smb damemon just like all daemons

with
/etc/init.d/daemon_name start
/etc/init.d/daemon_name stop

example

/etc/init.d/smb start
/etc/init.d/smb stop

to see all options for samba

type

/etc/init.d/smb

to see who is currently connected to samba share
type smbstatus

to view it in almost realtime (2sec)

watch smbstatus

this should be enough for the begining

hope this helps you somehow to start

Sincerely
Robert B

ps.: I know...its really-really kinda hard to get yourself to read the samba howtos and manuals on the webpage...but it pays...even if you don't read every page at once....but if you browse trough it you will find examples that really work, so try it...I did that to smile.gif
Robert83
Hi,

to join the domain please read this (it took me 3 minutes to find this via google)

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-...ain-member.html

read section Joining an NT4-type Domain with Samba-3 (move the vertical slider to 50 % it's at the middle of the webpage...with examples on how to do it)

------------------------------------------
"I've looked reall hard at the samba.org how-to's, but, frankly, I'm a little impatient. There's /a lot/ of information in those how-to's, and I find myself drowning. Someone out there has to have some kind of experience with this, and I was hoping they could spare a few minutes to explain it to me."

this is a very bad thing, I hope you change your mind...cause if you want to learn you gotta sacrifice time... I did not learn to use linux in 1 day (and I still don't know how to use it to the fullest) nor did others here...we all worked day and night, read those stinkin(*sorry) manuals ... destroyed lots of keyboards ... but in the end it payed off...

... so you better start reading those manuals, or you'll end up in the middle of nowhere

Sincerely
Robert B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.