Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Debian Xfree86 Nvidia Drivers?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
cyrlane
Hi, I'm a totally newbie and I tried to install Debian (Woody the stable version) on to my PC. I logged in as a user after installing (not as root) and typed "startx" and got a screen full of text, basically ending in the error message, " (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usuable configuration. Fatal Server error: no screens found". So I googled about for a while and after spending some time at debianhelp.org, it seemed like I should download nVidia drivers (I have a GeForce2 GTS chipset) and install them. Except I can't figure out how to get them onto my computer (I downloaded them onto a different computer and burned them to cd). I tried mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom and both got me "no such file or directory", then I tried /dev/cdrom and got "permission denied". I know that root has all the power so I logged out and logged back into root and tried /dev/cdrom again but still got "permission denied", so now I'm stumped. How do I get xWindows to work?
hughesjr
unless you need 3D graphics, you don't have to load the nvidia drivers.

I think your problem may be that your video card and monitor settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config are not correct.

please look at the info in the /etc/X11/XF86Config file in these sections:

CODE
Section "Monitor"
       DisplaySize       400   300     # mm
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       VendorName   "NEC"
       ModelName    "NEC E1100"
       HorizSync   31.0 - 82.0
       VertRefresh 55.0 - 120.0
       Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

CODE
Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Card0"
       Driver      "nv"
       VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
       BoardName   "5200 FX"
       BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

The impotant parts are the driver (it should be nv) ... and HorizSync and VertRefresh.

You can get the HorizSync and VertRefresh from your monitors documentation. (Don't use mine ... the frequencies are very important to get correct ... or else you can fry the monitor and/or video card)

After you make the changes, x should start.
cyrlane
QUOTE (hughesjr @ Oct 24 2004, 11:18 AM)
I think your problem may be that your video card and monitor settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config are not correct.

please look at the info in the /etc/X11/XF86Config file in these sections

Okay, I have a /etc/X11 directory, but no etc/X11/XF86Config or etc/X11/XF86Config file (I wasn't sure what to type, so I tried both, I'm not very familiar with the command prompt, the last time I had a computer with one that I used, it was an Apple IIe and all I did with it was play pong). I take it this is a problem?

I also tried typing in info and then looking for it in there but I don't think that was what I was supposed to do, as I came up empty handed as well.

When I went through set up, I did the medium route where you choose a resolution and a hertz, and I picked 1024x726 at 60h, I know that my monitor can run at 1024, becuase thats what it's always been at (though it can be at higher resolutions, I've just never used them) and I picked the lowest hertz so as not to blow up my monitor, because I didn't know what to pick and I no longer have my monitor documentation ( my monitor is ~3 years old and is on it's third State and forth house. It's a A70 View Sonic.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.