Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aim
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
LittleNewbie
Okay I'm a newbie here. I know this is probably not as big as a problem as everybody else's on here but it's driving me mad.

I have Mozilla Firefox and I've downloaded AIM many times on my computer. (I'm new to using Linux so bare with me.) Anyways the downloading has worked but the program has not been started. I don't know how to start to use my screename. The program hasn't appeared in my toolbar or anywhere in Mozilla. How the heck do I get this program working?!
LittleNewbie
Nobody's gonna answer me?
Serra
Hello! *waves* I'm new too, we can suffer together, lol.

I was told to use a program called GAIM instead of AIM, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe regular AIM doesn't work on Linux?
Jim
have you installed the program? Just like in windows, you have to install the program after you download it.

And you should use gaim, its much better than the AOL linux version. Here is what you need to do.

Go to http://gaim.sourceforge.net and download either the rpm for you EXACT distro or the source.

If you download the source, download the gaim-1.0.1.tar.bz2 file, and save it some where you'll remember.

Than open up a command line, and gain root privilage (su). Unpack the file with the command tar -xfvz gaim-1.0.1.tar.bz2

Than move into the new directory cd gaim or what ever it is called.

Than run these three commands one at a time
./configure
make
make install

Now you should be able to type gaim and be up and running. You will have to add short cuts where ever you want them yourself.

If you download the rpm, the best way to install it is to just double click on it from a file browser, the system should take care of the rest. Otherwise a typical rpm install command looks something like rmp -Uvh gaim-1.0.1-*.rpm but your system may take different modifiers.

That should get you rolling.
LittleNewbie
Thanks. Actually it's the INSTALLING that doesn't work.
But I'll try gaim.

It's all so confuzzling...
LittleNewbie
Yeah. I followed your instructions. Or not.
Let me just say it. I'm horrid at computers. I don't know how much more you can explain it in detail but could you please explain gaim again?
Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.