Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Boot
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
piemann15
iam trying to dual boot mandrake and red hat linux. first i installed mandrake it worked fine, then red hat it worked to only it was not detecting the mandrake install i am trying to configure the bootloader can anyone help.
Hemant
I guess it is really simple..
You will have to edit grub.conf file.You can use chainloader for loading mandrake kernel.Or what you can do is..
if you see the format of grub.conf file carefully..what it contains is actually:
1.Which partition is the root partition.
2.Where is the kernel.
3.What are the parameters passed to the kernel.

So make a similar entry in to grub.conf file.And edit the second entry so that root partition for Mandrake is detected and correct kernel is chosen.You should mount your Mandrake partition and see grub.conf file there.And check out ,what are the required parameters that Mandrake kernel requires.

After editing the file ,save it.
And use command "grub-install".So that changes could take place.
piemann15
no. 2 and 3 i cant quite figure out where or what they are.

i got it to partially work before i came to the forum
here is what i did:

mandrake whipped out the bootloader for redhat so i went into the bootloader options in mandrake and pointed it to red hats root partition and named it red hat. When i restarted the computer i booted into red hat but it looked different although i saw "Welcome to red hat linux" there was still a problem.
Hemant
What problem....you sound mysterious.
Jim
This is what you need to do.

You need to edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file. Now the tricky part here is you need to be editing the one that actually is controlling your grub system. Odds are, thats which ever distro you installed last.

So say you installed Mandrake first, than Red Had. You need to go into your Red Hat /boot folder and edit that grub file.

Your entries should all be fine for that system. Than, easy enough, what you should be able to do is just copy the entries from your other /boot/grub/grub.conf file. So mount up your Mandrake drive, and pull up that grub.conf. Now, probably, your using Lilo for Mandrake, which means you will need to create the lines by hand.

This isn't actually that hard. You need to know really two things. One, what partition your /boot folder for you mandrake system is on. Second, the names of the kernels and inits. Use your other boot entries in the file to model the other ones. Just change the root and names. It should look something like this.

CODE
title= Gentoo
root(hd1,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hdb3
initrd /initrd-2.6.8-gentoo-r3

Now the only other thing you need to know is how grub identifies drives, because its differnt than everything else. My root (where the kernels are stored) is /dev/hdb1 which is grub notatino is (hd1,0). See how grub starts at 0 not 1. So hda is hd0 and hdb is hd1 and hda1 is hd0,0 and so on.

If you can't get it to work, post your grub.conf file and we can help you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.