Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Remove Proftpd?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Maarten_Holland
Hi all,

I've got some problems with my SuSE Linux 9.1 box: I've installed ProFTPd several weeks ago but can't remember what I did exactly (noob alert!).

When I make changes to /etc/proftpd.conf, these don't seem to affect proftpd. When I run /usr/sbin/ProFTPd stop, followed by /usr/sbin/ProFTPd start (or /usr/sbin/ProFTPd start -c /etc/proftpd.conf) my changes are not applied.

When I run /usr/sbin/ProFTPd stop I can still connect using my FTP client. I get the feeling there is another FTP server running or /usr/sbin/ProFTPd is not the right script to run.

When I search for 'ftp' using the package manager in YaST, it doesn't find anything. I like to delete all FTP-packages, and especially ProFTPd, to try a new install.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thank you in advance,

Maarten
Corey
Here's a few command line tricks.

First off, to do a search for ftp packages, open up your konsole window and su as root. Then run the following command:

rpm -qa | grep ftp

That should give you a list of packages with 'ftp' in the name.

Also, after you make changes to a configuration file, you need to restart the service. Most distributions have start-stop files in /etc/init.d/ , i'm pretty sure SuSE is like this to, so you should be able to execute (as root):

/etc/init.d/proftpd restart

and that will restart the service.

If you just want to remove the ftp package, after you find out the name from rpm -qa | grep ftp , you can remove it with the following:

say it finds proftpd-xx.xx.xx , remove it with:

rpm -e proftpd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.