Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suse Linux 9.1 And Make Rpm
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
bpells
I downloaded SuSE Linux 9.1 and installed it. Since it is a basic version and it doesn't recognize my modem, I tried installing a driver. That is when I discovered that "make" isn't included in the installation. I went to the SuSE web site and downloaded (using another computer)
make-3.80-184.src.rpm.

I haven't used RPMs much so I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of it. Anyway I typed (as root)
rpm -i make-3.80-184.src.rpm
I didn't get any errors or confirmations. All it did was drop down to the next line. It didn't install.

Can anyone help me know what to do to install this file.

bpells
Corey
all the development tools should be included in YaST, so, you should setup your package sources to an online ftp.

Either way, when you see an rpm with *.src.rpm , that means the rpm is a source package, and it needs to be built first in order to use it. You'll have to consult documentation because i realy don't remember how to do this.

Anyways, if you want to manually build source packages, you'll need the following rpms:

automake-1.8.3-23.i586.rpm
autoconf-2.59-75.i586.rpm
make-3.80-184.i586.rpm
m4-1.4o-622.i586.rpm
gcc-3.3.3-41.i586.rpm

There may be other packages that are dependant on these, if you don't setup your package sources for ftp, then you grab any dependancies from here:

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/ftp.suse.com.../9.1/suse/i586/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.