Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diskless Boot Hanging
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
kiteflyer
Hi,
I'm trying to boot RedHat 9, 2.4.20-8 on a diskless client. It (the client) proceeds as far as
enabling swap space: [OK]
then reports
modprobe: can't open dependencies file <directories>modules.dep
and stops. It will only proceed any further if I then type "I" to get into interactive mode.
I don't have the file in question as the kernel is module-less. Also, it reports this error earlier in the boot, but proceeds past it without any problems, so why does it stop and wait for me to go into interactive mode instead of carrying on on its own?
Obviously, this is not viable for a remote system boot if I have to connect a keyboard to get it to boot all the way.

Any help will be well appreciated!
hughesjr
I would think the easiest thing to do is create a blank directory in /lib/modules called 2.4.20-8.
--------------------
If that doesnt work, try putting nomodules on your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/1 nomodules

(that is just a standard kernel line with a space and nomodules added to the end, use your current kernel line and add a space and nomodules to the end of it).
------------------
If that doesn't work, you will need to modify the file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to remove the sections that will not load (basically anything that does modprobe or depmod).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.