Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Drivers For Wireless Nic
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Ruke
Okay, first off, I'm running SuSE 9.1, and it says my kernal is 2.6.4-52-default. The wireless card is a Netgear WG311v2. After searching around on the internet for a while, I found that Prism54 (http://prism54.org) would most likely run my wireless NIC, and failing that, I could probably get it to work using ndiswrapper.

I got about half-way through the Prism54 installation, when it said I needed firmware. I went and looked in the directory it told me I'd have to put it in, and the firmware there were a .fm file and a .frm file. I downloaded two different things that claimed they were firmware, but neither had a .fm or .frm file. (The one I found on Prism54's site was .arm, and the one I got from Netgear's site has some .9, .bah, .bal, .daw, .bin, .sys, .inf, and pretty much looks like the installation software for the Windows driver.)

I decided that I might have better luck trying to use ndiswrapper. I extracted the folder to /home/Ruke/Setup/ndiswrapper-0.10/, opened up the folder in BASH, and typed make install, as per the README. I got a couple errors towards the end, and was wondering if you could tell me what happened:
CODE
/home/Ruke/Setup/ndiswrapper-0.10/driver//usb.c: 337: error: structure has no member named `act_altsetting'
/home/Ruke/Setup/ndiswrapper-0.10/driver//usb.c: 340: error: structure has no member named `act_altsetting'
make[3]: *** [/home/Ruke/setup/ndiswrapper-0.10/driver/usb.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/home/Ruke/setup/ndiswrapper-0.10/driver] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `usr/src/linux-2.6.52'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Ruke/Setup/ndiswrapper-0.10/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2

If that's not enough information, I'd be satisfied if someone could tell me what the firmware file would look like, so I could at least try to go ahead with the Prism54 installation.
hughesjr
Make sure that you installed the kernel-source rpm. It is required to compile new kernel drivers.

I have never used the prism drivers.

If kernel-source isn't the problem with the ndiswrapper compile, post more of the lines for your compile (maybe the last 30-40 lines before it produces the error) and I will see if I can figure out the problem.
Ruke
*digs around in Google for a few minutes*

...what's a kernel-source rpm? I've found lots of people who have either reported success or failure at installing it on boards, but I haven't found where I can get it, or what it really is.
hughesjr
The kernel-source is the source code that is required to build your current kernel using the gcc and gcc-c++ compilers.

The way a program works (the kernel, mozilla, etc.) is that the program has code written in a langauge (c or c++, as an example) ... that code is then compiled by a compiler (in the case of the kernel, gcc and gcc-c++).

The kernel source code contains items that drivers must use to communicate with the kernel. Drivers that are included in the Kernel are compiled along with the kernel ... but drivers that are not included in the kernel (in this case, your wireless driver) must be compiled seperately, and the kernel-source package must be installed to provide the required interface code to compile the stand alone drivers.

This interface code can be different for each different kernel version, so everytime the kernel is upgraded the drivers that are not part of the kernel must be recompiled for each new kernel version.

How you can install the kernel-source is through YAST ... but the version you install must be the same as the version of the kernel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.