Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installer Doesn't Find My Hdd
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
nuser2
Tried to install ubuntu linux (new debian variant) on my machine tonight and it failed, seemingly unable to see any disk to partition. qtparted also has problems, when I try from knoppix; the only device it finds is a USB SD card reader, which it calls /dev/sda.. The drive is a 250 Gb Serial ATA, and Partition Magic is able to see it and resize partions on it without difficulty. (I'm trying to dual boot with XP and so have unallocated half the disk.) There are a bunch of multimedia card readers on the front of the box, one of which is this SD card reader.

Any idea what the problem might be, or how to get the installer to see my drive?
Corey
Serial ATA is a relativly new technology and is not yet supported by all linux distributions yet. I've never tried (or heard of for that matter) the Debian variant that you installed, but if it's based off of the current stable version of Debian (3.0 - Woody), then chances are it's too old for SATA support. It's surprising that Knoppix doesn't have support for this yet, i'll have to read up on it.

Here is as link that i found regarding SATA in linux. i don't have a SATA drive, so i can't test it out or anything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.