Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nic Problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
pjc0715
I have an old 3C900Combo-based NIC card that works perfectly fine in Windows XP. For the life of me I cannot get online with this NIC card in Linux. I can't activate the card because it can't grab an IP address (DHCP).. i mean NO connectivity. The hardware resource configurations are empty, IRQ is listed as unknown. In XP, this card uses IRQ 19 and IO Range 1040-107F. This was confusing at first because I thought IRQ channels could only be numbered 0-15. Apparently, since W2k, it is now possible to have up to 256 IRQ channels in Windows. In Linux, you can only choose 0-15. I have tried setting the IRQ manually to 10, 11, 12 as these are available by default. This card is supposed to be PnP. The system (RH 9.0) sees the card and knows what it is though. I cannot figure this out!
hughesjr
What is your distro and version of Linux?
pjc0715
Red Hat 9.0
hughesjr
Take a look at the output of:

dmesg

and

lspci -vv

I have seen issues where a 3c905 is recognized incorrectly as a 3c509 in kudzu (redhat's hardware detection)...especially on the default version that is installed from the downloadable CD.

(sorry ... after re-reading your first post, I see that you did post RH9)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.