Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adsl
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
imaginaxion
i have setup adsl using adsl-setup and then when i use adsl-start that aslo works and it makes a connection

BUT i can't actually do anything or go anywhere
i've tried mozilla and konqueror

i'm using mandrake 10

pppoe is connecting thru my eth1 card with and ip of 192.168.1.150 to the adsl ROUTER with ip 192.168.1.1
(the fixed ip on eth1 is necessary because i have 2 adsl account and the router is set up to send traffice for my account to and from that ip)

why can i not surf the net???
Drizzt
QUOTE (imaginaxion @ Sep 3 2004, 12:33 PM)
i have setup adsl using adsl-setup and then when i use adsl-start that aslo works and it makes a connection

BUT i can't actually do anything or go anywhere
i've tried mozilla and konqueror

i'm using mandrake 10

pppoe is connecting thru my eth1 card with and ip of 192.168.1.150 to the adsl ROUTER with ip 192.168.1.1
(the fixed ip on eth1 is necessary because i have 2 adsl account and the router is set up to send traffice for my account to and from that ip)

why can i not surf the net???

It looks like a DNS problem..

try pinging an external IP, like 207.96.214.72.

If that works, it shure is DNS.

Call your provider to know the DNS Server's IP, and put it in /etc/resolv.conf

Hope that helps..
imaginaxion
if i ping an external ip nothing happens
it keeps sending packets with no reply

when i press Ctrl+c it just sais sent 24 packet 0 recieved 100% loss
imaginaxion
ok i have discoverd that when i use "adsl-status" it sais the connection is up but when i go to "control center->system->services it sais that adsl is down and when i try start it just sais connection timeout
i then could not start the service again using "adsl-start"
when i checked the pppoe.conf file the eth1 device had been removed then when i added it back in and used "adsl-start" it connected but i still cannot browse the net

does this maybe meen that somewhere the browser does not know which NIC to use?

if so what do i have to set? if not what else could be the prob?
Drizzt
QUOTE (imaginaxion @ Sep 3 2004, 02:09 PM)
ok i have discoverd that when i use "adsl-status" it sais the connection is up but when i go to "control center->system->services it sais that adsl is down and when i try start it just sais connection timeout
i then could not start the service again using "adsl-start"
when i checked the pppoe.conf file the eth1 device had been removed then when i added it back in and used "adsl-start" it connected but i still cannot browse the net

does this maybe meen that somewhere the browser does not know which NIC to use?

if so what do i have to set? if not what else could be the prob?

your default route is not good than..

First, after connecting, have a look at the output of 'ifconfig'. Under device ppp0, be shure to have an ip address assigned.

Than, if you have one, try 'route'. Be shure the one labeled 'default' is ppp0. If not, try 'route add default ppp0' and try pinging again.
imaginaxion
Drizzt you are a legend!!!

added a default and now i have two is this serious, if ok, if how do i remove one

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
default * 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 ppp0
default wbs-192-01.telk 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0

thanks again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.