Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing New Programs
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
GiZiM
I am wanting to install BitchX and TCL where can i install them so that all my users have access to them? and any program they install will see TCL.

/usr/bin?
So they just need to type ./BitchX and thats it
hughesjr
tcl is a standard program that is part of the distro for FC2 ... to see if you have it installed, use the command:

rpm -qa | grep tcl

Do you want to use BitchX for a specific reason, or are you just looking for an irc client? BitchX is not one of the IRC clients that are now distributed with Fedora Core, SUSE or Mandrake ... but there are other IRC clients available.

If you absolutely want BitchX, download the CVS version (which will compile on FC2), like this (as root from a terminal window):
CODE
wget ftp://www.bitchx.org/pub/BitchX/cvs-snapshot/bx1.0c20-cvs-10142003.tar.gz

----------------------------
Once you get the file, untar it:

tar -xvzf bx1.0c20-cvs-10142003.tar.gz
---------------------------
Then change directories to the BitchX directory like this:

cd BitchX
-------------------------
then configure the source with the command:

./configure
Then make the installation files with the command:

make
(You may see some warnings, but the last thing you should see is this:

Now type "gmake install" to install BitchX globally (if you're root), or
else you can type "gmake install_local" to install BitchX to your home
directory.

If you see an error and not the above text, post the error and we can see what is needed)
If no errors, then install the program with the command:

make install
To run BitchX, as a non-root user, open a terminal window and issue the command:

/usr/local/bin/BitchX-1.0c20cvs
I don't use BitchX, but you can look at the docs on the website or use the command man BitchX (from a terminal window) to get help.
GiZiM
Ok thanks so is there a general rule that gmake will install global? and it installs it in the /usr/bin folder?
GiZiM
Also TCL wasnt with FC2 eggdrop could not find it i had to install it.
I installed it in /home/gizim/tcl in error can i just delete the folder and install using gmake ?
GiZiM
Got a error with the gmake

Now type "gmake" to compile BitchX.
[root@localhost BitchX]# gmake
/bin/sh: line 1: test: /home/gizim/My: binary operator expected
cd source
&& gmake 'local_dir=/root' 'INSTALL_IRC=/usr/local/bin/BitchX' 'IRCLIB=/usr/local/lib/bx' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -Wall' 'HELPDIR=/usr/local/lib/bx/help' 'INSTALL_WSERV=/usr/local/lib/bx/wserv' 'IRCPATH=~/.BitchX:~/.BitchX/plugins:.:/usr/local/lib/bx/plugins:/usr/local/lib/bx/script:/usr/local/lib/bx' 'TRANSLATION_PATH=/usr/local/lib/bx/translation' 'LDFLAGS=' 'LIBS=-lncurses -lm -lcrypt -lresolv' 'LN=ln -s' 'RM=rm -f' 'TCL_SRCS=' 'TCL_OBJS=' 'CD_PLAY=' 'CD_SRCS=' 'CD_OBJS=' 'TCL_LIBS=' 'PLUGINDIR=/usr/local/lib/bx/plugins' '_VERSION_=BitchX' 'VERSION=BitchX-1.0c20cvs' 'INSTALL_DATA=/usr/bin/install -c -m 644' 'INSTALL_SCRIPT=/usr/local/lib/bx/script' 'EXEEXT=' 'SHLIB_CFLAGS=' 'SHLIB_SUFFIX=.so' all
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/gizim/My Downloads/BitchX/source'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `../include/../.config.h', needed by `alias.o'. Stop.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gizim/My Downloads/BitchX/source'
gmake: *** [BitchX] Error 2
[root@localhost BitchX]#
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.