Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changed Resolution And Now Xserver Wont Start
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
kilahchris
I changed my desktop colors to 24 bit ... and once i restarted Red Hat 8.0 i recieve error that X cant start but it made a backup file callled /etc/X11/XF86Config.backup???? do anyone know how to run the backup file????? what commands to type in root????

ps* i have tried redhat-config-xfree86 and have tried startx in the directory and both were unsuccessful in probing. I never got up to the screen where it would allow me to change the color back to 16 bit????
Corey
By the sounds of it, your XF86Config file was not created with the options for 24bit color. You can do one of two things, you can revert back to your old config file with the command "mv /etc/X11/XF86Config.backup /etc/X11/XF86Config", or you can manually edit your XF86Config file under the "Screens" section, and create the options for 24 bit color, it should be pretty much the same as the entry for 16bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.